Dietary supplements (poorly regulated if at all) including vitamins, herbs, and other supplements, are taken by 70% of adults in the US. Some are good for you, some are not, and some can be toxic you take too many or have a bad combination.
"Vitamins A, B6, B12, C, E and K; niacin; folic acid; calcium; magnesium; iron; and zinc can be hazardous when combined with various prescription drugs and over-the-counter remedies. Yet patients often fail to mention using such supplements to physicians."
You know, we know these things about plants and animals, I don't know why we consider our health any different.
- Nutrient deficiency- supply nutrient and health increases
- Adequate Nutrients- supply nutrients and no change
- Surplus Nutrients- supply more nutrients, health decreases and it can becomes toxic
Bottom Line: Real food is better for health than supplements.
Examples from the article:
- People who eat foods with antioxidants- improved health
- People who take antioxidant supplements- increased death rates
- Low doses of vitamin C- suppress harmful free radicals
- Very high doses of vitamin C- promote formation of harmful free radicals, and increased risk of heart failure